Friday, June 17, 2011

The question of doctrine

I was listening to a podcast the other day and it got me to thinking.  The speaker was addressing the topic of doctrine.
 I sighed and turned away.  I might as well have rolled my eyes, because that was what I was feeling.
Then I almost laughed out loud, because it was as if the speaker came right into the room and spoke to me!  She said, "Now I know you think this is a dry topic, but listen!  Anybody who believes anything has doctrine!  Oprah has doctrine -- she had a sex show on the other day, and let me tell you about her doctrine of sex."
And actually, I don't want to tell you about it, because it was pretty perverse.  Oprah wasn't the cleanest show around.
The podcast speaker I was listening to went on to name quite a few other personalities with venues on television who are full of doctrine -- just not church doctrine.  I can name a few of my own thinking:  Jay Leno doctrine, Ellen doctrine, President Obama doctrine, Tea Party doctrine, United Nations doctrine, Tom Shoes doctrine.  They're not all bad.  They're not all good.  But they all have beliefs, and that's their doctrine.
It was a whole new way of looking at doctrine.

So, the question becomes. . . what is YOUR doctrine?  What is your belief system?  Even if you've never thought you had one, let me stop you right there -- because you do, or else you wouldn't be here.

I'll tell you what I've thought about since I heard this podcast:  I want the doctrine that I live by to reflect the one doctrine that I know to be the truth.  The only place I know where to get to truth is the Bible.

Be blessed in Him -- Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment