Saturday, June 18, 2011

The blame game

I read something the other day that has stayed with me.  A little food for thought, a nugget of truth that I even wrote down so I wouldn't forget it.  Here it is:

We are not accountable for what other people do to us.


Wow.

Let that settle in for a minute.

Okay.  Here's the second part:

We are only accountable for how we respond.

Are scenarios flashing through your mind?
Here's one:

Let's say someone cuts you off very rudely on the road, causing you to swerve to avoid hitting them.

My natural reaction is to yell at them, to honk my horn, to rant and rave for the next fifteen minutes because of what they caused me to do.

But really, who does that impact?

If I yell at them and honk my horn, I could be taking a big chance on a road rage incident -- not wise.

If I yell at them and keep it inside my car, rant and rave for the next fifteen minutes, I've just ruined a good quarter hour of my life.  I've raised my blood pressure, focused on negative things -- how is that productive?  Philippians 4:8 tells us what is good to think about: "Whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable -- if anything is excellent or praiseworthy -- think about such things."

Maybe you're thinking that the person got away, and that's just not right!  It doesn't seem right in our eyes, but God has something to say about that:  "Do not repay evil for evil.  Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.  If it is possible, as far as it depends on you, live at peace with everyone.  Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath, for it is written: 'It is mine to avenge; I will repay,' says the Lord." (Romans 12:17-20)

It's hard to do things the way God wants us to, but in the end, He's got it handled.

You are blessed -- Teresa

No comments:

Post a Comment